Planning a tax season debrief with your team?
Hello and Congratulations on the end of tax season!
I know many of you are planning a tax season debrief with your team. The outcomes are typically two-fold:
- Let your team get some things off their chest.
- Develop an action item list.
Of course, the session needs to be constructive and do not let the team focus on the negative. In order, to keep it positive always ask what went well with the function and ask that your team be constructive.
Here are some questions that you can ask. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. It will get the conversation moving and you need to customize for your firm.
- What went well?
- If you could wave your magic wand what could we have done differently?
Clients and Development
- What went well as it relates to serving clients?
- What suggestions to you have to improve the engagement letter process or the engagement letter?
- What suggestions do you have to improve the use of Portals?
- What suggestions do you have to improve tax appointments?
- What suggestions do you have to improve the client experience?
- What suggestions do you have to sell more work during tax season that can be performed in the Summer/Fall?
- What additional client opportunities do you see?
What can we do to make sure you do an awesome job?
- What recognition or praise for doing good work during tax season would you like?
- What opportunities did you have to learn and grow during tax season?
- During tax season, were you able to do what you do best?
- If not, explain and how would you suggest you can solve next year?
Technology and Workflow
- What went well from a workflow perspective?
- What do we need to do differently?
- What systems need to be improved to become more efficient?
- What can be improved from a review perspective?
- Is there a process that needs to be streamlined?
- What materials and equipment do you need to perform your job efficiently?
Pricing and Budgeting
- What went well from a pricing perspective?
- What needs to be improved on pricing?
- What went well with the budgeting process?
- What can be improved with the budgeting process?
- What went well with firm communication?
- What suggestions do you have for improvement with firm communication?
Please let us know your suggestions on how the partners/principals can be more accessible during tax season.
If not addressed above, what suggestions do you have for improvement?