Success is a Habit
As we ramp up for sales season I want to remind us all that success is a habit. I have sat in on some calls/debriefed many and I still believe we have room for improvement on the fundamentals.
Here are a few tips for the upcoming sales season:
- Stand Up for every call. It can’t hurt and in the majority of cases it will help. It will raise your energy levels, your “voice” and eliminate sounding monotone.
- Know the outcome before the call. Put another way, don’t make a call (irrespective of where the prospect is in the sales cycle) without knowing exactly what YOU want out of the call and what the next step will be.
- Set an agenda/up front contract for every call. No agenda, no purpose, no agreed upon outcomes, no reason to do the call.
- Use bullet points and numbers. Technology is complicated. Be sure to try to keep it simple by using bullet points and numbers to define agendas, value propositions and next steps.
- Talk business and personal and sell IT. You must understand their business and personal objectives. You need to document these and refer back to them.
- Summarize where the firm is at the beginning and ending of every call. This will help reduce confusion and ambiguity.
- Take control by asking questions. Always control the sales process by asking questions.
- Use your resources. Your peers, the website and the leaderships team is all here for you. Use them.
In summary, success is a habit. Don’t be lazy. Be intentional, do your homework and lead. You and your prospects will be happy with the results.